University of Zagreb

The Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing Zagreb, Croatia - Research Performing Organisation

The Organisation

The University of Zagreb (1669) is the oldest and biggest university in South-Eastern Europe. Ever since its foundation, the University has been continually growing and developing and now consist of 30 faculties, three art academies and the Centre for Croatian Studies.

The Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing (FER) is the largest technical faculty and leading educational and R&D institution in the fields of electrical engineering, information and communication technology and computing in the Republic of Croatia.

Status of gender inequalities

Current statistical data demonstrate clear gender imbalance in all research and professorship grades. Women make up 28% of assistant professors, 5% of associate professors and 11% of full professors. In total, women make up 16% of research staff and 63% of administrative staff. As for governing bodies, there are 38 faculty boards each having a president and 5-6 members. Women make up 15% of faculty board members and 5 of the presidents are women. Only 1 woman covers the role of head of department. The statistics also show clear general unbalance among enrolled students. Women make up 23% of undergraduate students, 20% of graduate students and 24% of doctoral students. Women make up 10% of principal investigators in international research projects. No measures take gender into account in research evaluation and in teaching activities. 

Existing gender equality policies at a faculty level

In the last strategic document Development Strategy of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing of the University of Zagreb 2013 – 2017 it is stated that a mission of the Faculty is to be an institution of high academic values, ethical principles and of equality for all its members. However, the faculty has not started designing GEP. There are no other policies nor initiatives that tackle gender inequalities. Statutory Documents and Regulations prescribe that any gender-based discrimination is prohibited, however, there are no means or Faculty bodies that ensure this is being carried out. No internal documentation on the topic of gender inequalities is available.

The mission of the Faculty is, among other things, to be an institution of high academic values and ethical principles, a site of critical thinking and questioning, a place of equality for all its members and to be a driving force in the Croatian society. By participating in the CALIPER project we plan to further strengthen these values.

GEP Working Group

The goal of the Working group is to oversee the development and implementation of customized gender equality plan at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing.
Mislav Grgic, Full professor, Dean 2014-2018
Petra Lukina, Head of Student Administration Office
Petra Lukina, Head of Student Administration Office
Maja Matijasevic, Full professor, Head of the Committee for Doctoral Studies
Josipa Pina Milisic, Associate professor
Nikola Miskovic, Full professor, Vice Dean for Research 2018-2022
Anamari Nakic, Assistant professor, Caliper project Principal Researcher at UNIZG-FER
Davor Petrinovic, Full professor, Head of Department of Electronic Systems and Information Processing 2020-2022
Davor Petrinovic, Full professor, Head of Department of Electronic Systems and Information Processing 2020-2022
Iva Piski, Head of Office for General Affairs Office
Iva Piski, Head of Office for General Affairs Office

Organisation team

Andrea Aglić Aljnović Full professor, Head of Department of Applied Mathematics 2020-2022
Andrea Aglić Aljnović Full professor, Head of Department of Applied Mathematics 2020-2022
Lana Horvat Dmitrović
Assistant professor
Lana Horvat Dmitrović Assistant professor
Mario Krnic, Full professor
Lenka Mihokovic, Assistant professor
Lenka Mihokovic, Assistant professor
Josipa Pina Milisic, Associate professor
Anamari Nakic, Assistant professor, Caliper project Principal Researcher at UNIZG-FER
Ana Zgaljic Keko, Assistant professor
Ana Zgaljic Keko, Assistant professor

Actions